Sunday, July 22, 2018

One Day as (pretend) Art Enthusiast at Art Jog







The coolest contemporary visual art event, ArtJog, embarked at Jogja National Museum in Wirobrajan, where ArtJog is being shown for a month (started on May 4th until 4th of July). This year's event titled "Enlightenment." It referred to an era in world history, The post-French Revolution in the 18th century, which was known to be the birth of both rationalism and humanism. Sovereignty, individuality, knowledge, modernity, democracy, and laïcité (the concept of a secular republic in which the separation between state and religion applies) were the main ideas behind the understanding of “Enlightenment,” and art has always been a significant media to express it.
Upon my arrival, I greeted by the prettiest piece of art that I have ever seen named "Sea Remembers" by Mulyana Agus. This artwork was made by crocheting wool yarn, and it took about 60 people and six months to get it done. As Plato said that "art was the imitation of nature." This artist's depiction was quite spot on. The beauty of life under the sea beautifully captured through this masterpiece.







As I went on exploring ArtJog, I found another piece which caught my eyes. The piece called "Pernyataan Tidak Tertulis" by Bandu Darmawan. It was a shadow of the typing man. This piece was a bit creepy because the typing man didn't exist, only his shadow. This piece a]empted to present a negative space of the creation of narrative, the shadow of a man who's typing would mix with the shadow of the audience and a typewriter with plain keys that randomly typed (as quoted from the information board).






Of all the arts and paintings in the exhibition. The one that captivated me the most was the "Chinese God War" by Ichwan Noor. The art stood gallantly amongst other arts. The piece was made of engine parts, beautifully assembled. The "Chinese God War" represented Chinese knight named Guan Yu. He was well known for his loyalty and honesty. This work intended as a metaphor for a fight for China's influence on the global constellation.







By the end of the tour of Art Jog, I was completely aware of the power of art, it was like a journey through other dimensions while still in the same building. Art is beau<ful, even though I don't understand some of them. As this year's theme "Enlightenment", it was successfully enlighting me, it gave me different perspec<ve about some aspects of life. Though the art wasn't my strong suit, I enjoyed that night. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Blogger templates

About